Monday, October 17, 2005

All there is.

I got my hair cut the other day. It was pretty long. Now its pretty short. It probably hasn't been this short since my sophomore year of high school. I kind of like it, its not as bad as I thought it was gonna be. Thats exciting.

I don't really have much to say today, I guess I'm just kind of killing time. Oh wait, there is this:

I went up to Springdale High School today to see coach Ike and coach Smith. I stayed for probably 45 minutes of the basketball team's practice. It was exactly the same as it was last year. I kind of felt sorry for the guys. The same routine day in and day out used to kill me. I'm not a huge fan of monotony.

When I left, I was driving to Party City to go try on Batman and Spiderman costumes (but thats another story, ask me sometime) when I just thought about what life would be like if I had no knowledge of Christ. What if there was no hope for anything after this life? The everyday monotony, the endless cycles. Going to pre-school to be ready for kindergarten, going to kindergarten to prepare for elementary school, going to elementary school to prepare for middle school, going to middle school to prepare for Jr. High, going to Jr. High to prepare for High School, going to High School to prepare for a job or for college, going to college to prepare for a job or grad school, going to grad school to prepare for a more demanding job, getting a job to prepare to support and a family, raising children and preparing them to go through the same old cycle. Making money so you can buy more things so you can get bored with them a year later and buy newer things so you can get bored with those a year after that. Cycles.

This life just isn't all that great--lets just be honest with ourselves. Sure, it has its moments: hearing an amazing song for the first (or 20th) time, watching a sunset over an ocean, marrying your spouse, watching the birth of your child, eating a really good piece of chocolate cake. Its all good stuff. Some of it is GREAT stuff. But none of it will stand.

If life was simply us experiencing some bad things, some good things, and some great things and then simply ceasing to exist at all, was there any point to any of it?

If we just "ceased to be" when we died, who cares? You woudln't remember any of it, and then your family would die and they wouldn't remember any of it, and then eventually humans would die out and no one would remember any of it--it would be just as if we had never existed.

As believers in Christ, who knows what we will remember from this life when we enter into the presence of God? All I know is that we have the hope of entering into it, which will surpass anything else.

I'm glad this isn't all there is.

2 comments:

Cameron said...

Right now you've got your Nick Briggs, Joel Brown, Ritchie Jahnke, Austin Nutter, and Spencer King. I think those are the only guys still around from last year. There some other guys, but I didn't know any of them. Damian, Ben, Norman, Pianalto, and Hoover are still saying they're going to play as of a few days ago. Costner is thinking about playing.

Cameron said...

I don't think there is a disagreement here, my point was exactly that--that had God not given a purpose and a meaning to all of these things, they would be pointless. They are pointless in and of themselves--just things that give a temporary happiness that ends when you die. But if you look at them through the lense of Christianity, they suddenly gain meaning and an eternal purpose.

Now, instead of simply being a woman you live with and provide for because society tells you you need to have one, your wife becomes the person with which you will become one flesh and a living metaphor for the relationship between Christ and the Church with.

Now, instead of simply having a kid to raise and watch until you die (and, essentially, forget), you have a spiritual being that you are called to love and shepherd and lead into a relationship with God, so they he/she may have eternal life.

One of the reasons God's revelation to us is so beautiful is because it gives these finite things eternal meaning.

I think that is the core of what I was trying to say. And I think we're on the same page.