Tuesday, May 10, 2005

a revelation in noise (not really)

So its Wednesday, May 11 at 12:29am. I've got "Holiday in Spain" by Counting Crows (an excellent song that Roland introduced me to) on repeat on my laptop's iTunes. This is only the third time I've ever listened to the song, but it, for some reason, is putting me in a sad and/or emotional mood.

I love how music can do that.

I love how a certain lyric or vocal melody or guitar riff or piano line or even a tempo can cause emotion to swell up inside of you. I think that that is a huge characteristic of great art--something that jumps out and forces you to respond to it. And, to take it a little further, something that challenges you.

I love how God created us to be moved by music, how a bunch of random noises can come together to create something remarkable.

19 Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 5:19-20)


Moses refers to God as his "song"

2 The LORD is my strength and my song;
he has become my salvation.
He is my God, and I will praise him,
my father's God, and I will exalt him. (Exodus 15:2)


I think it is safe to say that a decent amount of emphasis is put on music in the bible... at least it is made known that music is a pretty big part of many believers' lives. I know its a big part of mine.


Anyways, yea, it hadn't really set in yet that I was done with high school until tonight, as Adam Duritz's voice comes out of my small laptop speakers. I'm having a serious 'moment' right now. High School is over. I'm done. Now I go to school to prepare for whatever I'm going to do for the rest of my life. Crazy.

All it took was the right combination of noises to get me to realize it.

Crazy.

No comments: